Last week Vembu released a Free Version of their BCDR suite which is over and above Paid Version. In the Free version, Vembu is heavily focusing on organizations who do not have a proper backup mechanism for Virtual Servers, Physical Servers, and Desktops. For the first month you get access to full features of paid version, post 30 days you either have an option to insert key or product automatically changes into the Free version.
What is in Free Version?
- Agentless backup functionality for Image-Based Backup
- You can Backup VMs from vCenter. VCenter Integration is part of free edition
- There is no limit as to how many VMs you can backup in Free edition
- Options to backup full Operating system and or to exclude disk are part of the free edition
- Backup Transport mode e.g. SAN, Network is similarly available in the free version.
- Application-aware backup a feature I consider a must in any backup software is surprisingly a part of free edition
- Cross Hypervisor migration feature is also there in free Edition
- Free version not only allows you restore files but also have features to recover Exchange mailboxes, MS SQL Databases, MS SharePoint, Active Directory users, groups and File
- Web-based management, Backup Monitoring, and Reporting is still possible in free edition
- Singularly in Hyper-V, you can backup VMs stored on Cluster Shared Volumes
- For the Physical servers, you can backup GPT disks, do Raw Device Mapping disks and Pass-through disk mapping. Not only this, but you can also the backup Physical server with drives size more than 2 TB.
- Finally, you get end to end encryption, compression and scale out repository in Vembu