Configure DHCP Server
One of the requirement of Auto Deploy is DHCP offer. We must have DHCP server in the environment. Below I have selected Windows 2003 DHCP server.
1. Open DHCP console, Select DHCP server
2. Right click and select “New Scope”
3. Wizard starts for new scope, press Next to continue
4. Give suitable name to DHCP scope and press Next to continue
5. Provide the scope IP address with start and end range as shown below
6. Unless you want to exclude some address, keep this field as blank.
7. Provide the lease duration, I’ve left it default
8. Select Yes to configure settings specific for this scope options now
9. Enter Router details i.e. Gateway IP addresses here
10. Enter the “Server name” below and select resolve. This will confirm lookup entries in DNS
11. Provide WINS details if there is any in your environment. This option is not valid for Scope used for ESXi, therefore leave it blank.
12. Activate this scope, this will be active only when you authorize DHCP server
Now configure options for TFTP Server(66) and Bootfile name (67)
1. Select the scope you just configured, right click and select “Configure Options…”
2. Scroll down to select 066 check box for Boot Server Host Name i.e. TFTP server
3. Select the next option i.e. “067 Bootfile Name”
4. Below is what your screen should look at the DHCP Scope level
Test the TFTP, DHCP and Auto Deploy Server
At this stage we have not yet use image profiles to create image and use deploy rules. Simple test involves
1.) Powering on server
2.) Check DHCP is offering IP address
3.) DHCP is directing it to TFTP Server & Boot file File
4.) Boot file boots up and contacts Auto Deploy Server
5.) Since Auto Deploy server is not configured for image profile it will give warning and reboot
This confirm DHCP, TFTP and Auto deploy server are working. Now environment is ready. This environment will hardly change. So better you design this environment less changes will be needed in future. Next step will be to create image profile, assign image profile and play with Deploy Rules.