You can store backups to a hard disk that has been added to the backup appliance. Hard disks provide faster backup performance compared to other destinations such as CIFS shares.
1. Start the vSphere Client and log in to the vCenter Server that manages the backup appliance.
2. Select Inventory > VMs and Templates.
3. In the inventory, right-click the backup appliance virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
4. In the Hardware tab, click Add.
5. Select Hard Disk and click Next.
6. Choose a type of storage.
a. Select Create a new virtual disk and click Next.
b. Select Use an existing virtual disk to add an existing disk such as when upgrading from an older appliance and click Next.
c. Select Raw Device Mappings to add the disk as an RDM and click Next.
7. If creating a new virtual disk, specify the disk size and other options and click Next.
8. Review the configuration and Click Finish.
The disk is now added to the backup appliance and can be used as a destination for backups.
If the backup appliance is powered on when the hard disk is added, the hard disk may not be immediately recognized. Either wait until the hard disk appears or reboot backup appliance